Monday, October 21, 2013

Earth's Orbit and Google Maps

Siri and Google maps have become one of my new best friends when I'm driving anywhere! Well last night I found another reason to love Google maps! As I was checking out a location I accidentally zoomed clear out of the map. I noticed what looked like the sun shining on part of the Earth... As I continued to zoom out, I realized I was correct! The map of the Earth showed the exact time of day according to the Earth's orbit!! How cool!! 

This intrigued me and I began to think of some excuse to share this with my students, but first I wanted to make sure it was accurate. So throughout the day I checked the Google map app... And this is what I found...

8:15 am


 4:15 pm


9:15 pm


I have explained the Earth's orbit to my students before, shown videos, made earth and sun hats to act out the Earth orbiting, and so on. But THIS I think will finally get through to them. Seeing the real Earth, not just a video someone made, makes it so much more meaningful and makes the concept come to life. What I have posted are screenshots of Google Maps. Feel free to use the pictures if you'd like. I would suggest though , if you have access to an iPad or IWB in your classroom, using Google maps with students so that they can move the Earth themselves and better explore the orbit. Keep in mind this is a great way to introduce and teach time zones as well! Check out Math is Fun for more time zone and orbit models.

No comments:

Post a Comment